In his presentation at the Trucking Owners Business Roundtable held in Nashville, Tennessee last week sponsored by Katz, Sapper & Miller, KSM Transport Advisors and Baker Donelson's Transportation Group, Gordon Klemp of The National Transportation Institute discussed company driver and owner-operator compensation and trends.
In addition, Steve Prelipp of Prelipp Consulting discussed driver recruiting/creating a pipeline of drivers; and John Biblis of Truck Safety Advisors discussed how to hire the right drivers to improve safety, productivity and retention. Finally, Mark Baugh of Baker Donelson provided legal updates related to drivers.
Driver Retention Tips:
- One reason drivers are exiting the truckload market: more than 50% are 45+ years in age.
- 47% of carriers offer sign-on bonuses today compared to 12% two years ago.
- Recruiting advertising channels have changed as media has changed. Newspaper is out. Social media is in.
- 100% of participants agree they have more freight than capacity (i.e. capacity crunch).
- Data mining, target marketing, and remarketing of opportunities is critical to recruiting success.
- Drivers are isolated employees who need and want personal communication with the company.
- Productivity-based pay is becoming more prevalent. A short feedback cycle regarding performance is critical for success.
About the Author
David Roush is president of KSM Transport Advisors, LLC, part of the Katz, Sapper & Miller Network. With 30-plus years of experience, David’s focus includes freight networks, financial management, operational metrics and optimization strategies. Connect with him on LinkedIn.
SEPARATE FACT FROM OPINION
At KSMTA, we can help you separate the franchise lanes from the toxic lanes.
Driver Recruiting | Driver Retention | Trucking Profitability